My sister sent me this↓ bento picture a couple years ago.. Sexy bento for her husband lol !
I thought this would be a great bento for Valentine's day!
Topping of your choice ( I used seasoned salmon)
Nori seaweed (eyes)
Ketchup (lips, cheeks)
Pickled plum aka Ume (nipples) : My sister used ham instead
1. Make rice balls. 2 big ones and 1 smaller one. Put rice in plastic wrap and push down the middle a little and place the topping there as shown in the picture.
2. Boil pasta. I wanted to fill the open space with tomato salad later, so I seasoned the pasta with salt, balsamic vinegar and olive oil to make the pasta salad.
Add the pasta on a smaller rice ball to create hair.
Looking for some ideas for Valentine's day dinner??
This heart shaped tomato salad is perfect not only for Valentine's day but also for birthdays or anniversaries!
Salad -remaining tomatoes
1. Slice off the stem and cut a tomato in half. Thinly slice.
Stuffed red pepper
Stuffed red pepper
1 Red pepper
110g Ground chicken (or pork)
1/2 Onion, chopped
1tbs Soy sauce
1/2tbs Sesame oil
Salt and pepper
1. Mix all the ingredients but red pepper and set aside.
2. Take the slice of pepper.
2. Stuff the meat mixture in the pepper.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add the stuffed pepper. Meat side down. When meat is cooked, turn off the heat and put a lid to steam about 5-10 mins.
3. Peel a cucumber. Cut with a knife to create hull.
5. Put white sesame.
We celebrated by eating sashimi, sushi and some of Japanese traditional New Year food.
Shrimp dish is one of the must-have items for Japanese New Year's food.
It symbolizes a wish for a long-life. To live until back bend like shrimp's.
I made Golden Shrimp this time.
Have you seen a pair of golden fish on the roof edge of a Japanese castle?
Those are imaginary animals and considered to blow out water.
Japanese castles were made with woods, so they put the fish with a wish for an avoidance of fire.
Anyways, that is kinda good-luck thing, so this shrimp dish is made to look like those.
Golden Shrimp (Recipe in Japanese)
8 shrimps (raw, tail on, deveined )
1 Egg yolk
2in Green onions, chopped
1. Make a slit along the shrimp's belly to open. Lay on a toaster pan.
2. Mix mayonnaise, egg yolk and green onions and put on each shrimp belly.
3. Cook in a toaster about 3~4 mins.
Made bento with leftover food.....and a sausage horse! This year is the Year of the Horse:)
To make a horse, you need 2 mini sausages.
Cut one in half vertically and cut off V shapes from the ends as shown below. (hands and legs)
Cut the other sausage to make a head as shown.
Create ears and a tail with remnants of the sausage.
I made hair by mixing bonito flakes and a couple of drops of soy sauce.
Connect the parts together with fried pasta.
Create the face parts with a sliced cheese and a piece of nori seaweed.